1961 - Water Distribution Labor I
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$800.00 Bi-Weekly/Full Benefits
- Posted Date:07/31/2019 8:00 AM
FLSA – Non-Exempt / Classification 5A
Under general supervision, performs manual labor associated with the installation and repairs of water distribution system. Performs other related work as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/WORK CONDITIONS:
- The duties of this position are performed in a field environment, at development and work sites on uneven and rough terrain; Works with assigned crew performing manual, strenuous labor in order to repair or replace water lines and water or mains
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee works near heavy equipment and moving mechanical parts and materials weighing up to 100 pounds of installation and repair equipment and materials while participating in work assignments.
- Frequent exposure to hazardous conditions, hazardous materials, water borne pathogens and vehicular traffic while performing strenuous manual labor.
- Makes water taps; and may install/repair fire hydrants.
- Sets up barricades when required to protect employees and the public.
- Performs routine maintenance on vehicles, tools, and equipment.
- Uses good judgment to work safely and use equipment properly. Uses proper safety precautions.
- Climbs, crawls, kneels, squats, twists, and stops for extended periods of time while performing installations or repairs.
- Works in trenches and confined spaces.
- Works indoors/outdoors in extreme temperatures including heat, cold, temperature swings, and inclement weather.
- Some exposure to mechanical, electrical, and explosive hazards; fumes, odors, dust, chemicals, and toxic waste hazards.
- Incumbent may be required to read simple maps and drawings; pick up work trash.
- Keeps storage areas clean, orderly, and in safe working conditions.
- Serves on standby crew for after hour emergency work as required.
- Performs other related work as required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Receives general supervision from the Water Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent. Works directly under assigned Crew Leader. Position has no formal assigned supervisory responsibility or authority.
- High School Diploma or GED required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, understand, and follow written and oral job instructions.
- Ability to hear clearly when working around equipment or in street and alley traffic.
- Knowledge of the procedures pertaining to the installation, maintenance and repair of a water system.
- Knowledge of materials, equipment and methods employed in water or sewer main construction or maintenance.
- Skilled in the use and care of job-related hand and power tools, materials and equipment.
- Working knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, coworkers, other departments, and the general public.
- Skilled in courteously and effectively working with the public.
- Texas Commercial Driver’s License Class C required
- Must pass a drug test, driver’s license check, criminal history background check, and social security number verification check
- Must possess or have ability to obtain a Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) Class “D” Water Certificate of Competency within one (1) year of appointment
- Experience in working with the maintenance/construction of a water distribution or wastewater collection system preferred
INTERESTED APPLICANTS, PLEASE NOTE:
- The City of Del Rio investigates and obtains information from all references, both personal and professional, employers, public agencies, licensing authorities, and educational institutions in order to obtain information about applicants and to otherwise verify the accuracy of information provided in the application.
- The City does not unlawfully discriminate in employment practices and no question on the application is used for the purpose of limiting or excusing any applicant from consideration for employment on a basis prohibited and protected by applicable Local, State or Federal law.
- Applicants must agree to submit to any medical examination and/or drug and alcohol testing to determine the ability to perform the duties of the position which applied for and employment is contingent upon the results thereof.
- If an offer of employment is made, the applicant is required to provide proof of identity and legal authority to work in the United States as per Federal immigration laws requiring form I-9.
THE CITY OF DEL RIO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER