Heavy Equipment Operator - Water Distribution
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$906.39 Bi-Weekly/Full Benefits
- Posted Date:03/29/2017 10:00 AM
FLSA – Non-Exempt / Classification 11
Under general direction, operates heavy motorized equipment used in the maintenance of a water distribution system.Performs other related work as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Drives dump truck with backhoe to job location(s).
- Operates backhoe’s hydraulic jackhammer to break pavement.
- Uncovers water or sewer lines.
- Opens trench(s) to install pipes.
- Assists crews in repairs when needed.
- Performs daily preventive maintenance on vehicles and equipment.
- Responsible for efficient and safe operations, care and appearance of assigned equipment.
- Serves on standby crew for after hour emergency work as required.
- Performs other related work as required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Receives general supervision from the Water Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent.Works directly under assigned Crew Leader.Position has no formal assigned supervisory responsibility or authority.
The duties of this position are performed in a field environment, at development and work sites on uneven and rough terrain.Required to work in outside weather conditions, including heat, cold, temperature swings and inclement weather for extended periods of time. Frequent exposure to hazardous conditions, hazardous materials, water borne pathogens and vehicular traffic while performing strenuous manual labor.While performing the duties of this job, the employee works on heavy equipment and moving mechanical parts.Works in trenches and confined spaces.Walks, bends, stoops, squats, climbs, crawls, kneels, twists, lifts, moves, and carries equipment, tools and materials weighing up to 100 pounds of installation and repair equipment and materials while participating in work assignments.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Experience in working with the maintenance/construction of a water distribution or wastewater collection system preferred.
- Two (2) years’ experience in operating heavy equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of mechanical operation and proper care of heavy equipment.
- Ability to operate equipment skillfully and safely.
- Ability to read, understand, and follow written and oral job instructions.
- Ability to hear clearly when working around equipment or in street and alley traffic.
- Knowledge of the procedures pertaining to the installation, maintenance and repair of a water system.
- Knowledge of materials, equipment and methods employed in water construction or maintenance.
- Skilled in the use and care of job related hand and power tools, materials and equipment.
- Working knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, coworkers, other departments, and the general public.
- Skilled in courteously and effectively working with the public.
- Minimum Class B Commercial Driver’s License
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) Class “D” Water Certificate of Competency within one (1) year of appointment.
INTERESTED APPLICANTS, PLEASE NOTE:
- The City of Del Rio investigates and obtains information from all references, both personal and professional, employers, public agencies, licensing authorities, and educational institutions in order to obtain information about applicants and to otherwise verify the accuracy of information provided in the application.
- The City does not unlawfully discriminate in employment practices and no question on the application is used for the purpose of limiting or excusing any applicant from consideration for employment on a basis prohibited and protected by applicable Local, State or Federal law.
- Applicants must agree to submit to any medical examination and/or drug and alcohol testing to determine the ability to perform the duties of the position which applied for and employment is contingent upon the results thereof.
- If an offer of employment is made, the applicant is required to provide proof of identity and legal authority to work in the United States as per Federal immigration laws requiring form I-9.
THE CITY OF DEL RIO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER