1920-021- PUBLIC RELATIONS MANAGER/PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICER
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$ 1,681.45 biweekly / full benefits
- Posted Date:11/27/2019
- Deadline to Apply:12/16/2019 6:00 PM
FLSA: Non-Exempt / Classification 22
JOB SUMMARY: Under general supervision, responsible for the City’s public information program in the areas of print, video, television and radio in order to provide the public and media with timely and accurate information on matters of public interest all while maintaining and promoting a positive image. Performs other related duties as assigned.[OF1]
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides information to media outlets by composing news releases to disseminate City-related information to inform and educate the public.
- Researches, writes, photographs, prepares graphic designs, helps produce and edit videos, and distributes City and department information.
- Manages all media coverage and responds to media inquiries. Meets with department and division heads in responding to media inquiries and promoting department programs and services.
- Prepares, reviews and edits news and press releases, scripts, articles, brochures, pamphlets, signage, etc.
- Effectively markets the City through social media outlets and on the City’s website or through representation at community and public events.
- Develops and produces video information programs about city services and public service announcements.
- Manages the operation and maintenance of the City’s cable access channel to include live cable casting and information videos.
- Participates in radio and television interviews and promotions by effectively marketing City services and promoting City events.
- Manages the City’s website, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts by confirming and approving all social media posts made by the City.
- Attends meetings where the City’s public relations manager’s input and/or representation is needed.
- Assists in the coordination and facilitation of City events.
- Effectively and efficiently manages the division’s budget.
- Leads projects and project teams to accomplish strategic communications objectives.
- Performs other related duties as required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED: Receives administrative supervision from the Economic Development Director. Public Relations Manager supervises two Communications Technicians. Must complete jobs without constant supervision.
Education and Experience:
- Required: AA (Associates of Arts degree) or two years of applicable experience in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing, or a related field from an accredited university. Demonstrated experience in public relations, video production, graphic design and print communications required.
- Preferred: BA (Bachelor of Arts degree) or four years of applicable experience in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or a related field from an accredited university.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Departmental programs including Adobe Acrobat, website management, social media management, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Stock, and other similar programs.
- Skilled in social media and traditional marketing techniques.
- Knowledge of professional applications of research and writing skills.
- Ability to present information clearly and concisely to various audiences.
- Skilled in prioritizing tasks in order to meet stringent deadlines.
- Skilled in using a personal computer, graphic design software, digital cameras, video equipment, sound systems, audiovisual equipment, and other equipment as required.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures related to job functions being performed.
- Ability to compile reports from a wide array of sources.
- Must have a strong ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and positive working relationships with employees and the general public.
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends as needed due to media related schedules and community events or due to the requirement of dispersing information on social media and to the public for unforeseen events.
- Valid Texas Drivers’ License Class C.
- The principle duties of this position are performed in an office environment.
- Works standing for prolonged periods of time.
- Sits, stoops, crawls, climbs, lifts, bends, kneels, pulls and pushes while performing duties related to media tasks.
- Uses eyes and ears to adjust lighting and sound systems.
- Lifts equipment weighing up to 30 pounds.
ALCOHOL AND DRUG TESTING POLICY: This position is subject to the City of Del Rio’s Alcohol and Drug Testing Policy, which includes: Pre-employment testing, Post-Accident Testing, Random Testing, Reasonable Suspicion Testing, Return to Duty Testing, and Follow-Up Testing.
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS
- The City of Del Rio investigates and obtains information from all references, both personal and professional, employers, public agencies, licensing authorities, and educational institutions in order to obtain information about applicants and to otherwise verify the accuracy of information provided in the application.
- The City does not unlawfully discriminate in employment practices and no question on the application is used for the purpose of limiting or excusing any applicant from consideration for employment on a basis prohibited and protected by applicable Local, State or Federal law.
- Applicants must agree to submit to any medical examination and/or drug and alcohol testing to determine the ability to perform the duties of the position which applied for and employment is contingent upon the results thereof.
- If an offer of employment is made, the applicant is required to provide proof of identity and legal authority to work in the United States as per Federal immigration laws requiring form I-9.
THE CITY OF DEL RIO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.