1936 - Labor I (un-certified) - Gas Dept
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$800.00 Bi-Weekly/Full Benefits
- Posted Date:06/12/2019 8:00 AM
FLSA = Non- Exempt / Classification = 5A
Under general supervision of the Gas Division Superintendent, performs manual labor. Uses tools and equipment required to maintain, install and repair gas lines and gas meters. Performs other related duties as required/assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Works with pipeline crew on leaking gas mains, replacements, retirements and extensions of gas mains under the supervision of the crew leader
- Must be able to work with live gas and gas pressure exceeding 45lbs psi
- Will work in any gas leak emergency and crisis of low pressure
- Assists in placement, extension and relocation of gas lines
- Locates pipes; converts, connects and extends pipes as necessary
- Assist in loading and unloading pipe as needed
- Will operate dump truck, shovel, sharp shooter, pick, sledgehammer, and fusion equipment
- May be required to assume the role of a welder’s helper
- Assists the meter technician in repairing meters and regulators
- Will assist as needed on meter sets/turn-on and meter removals
- Responsible for the cleaning and washing, maintaining and servicing of tools and equipment
- Helps maintain the Gas Department yard and warehouse
- Will assist with the Cathodic Protection under the supervision of the assigned Supervisor
- Loads and unloads materials and equipment
- Reads and understands written job instructions and plans
- Uses good judgment to work safely, and use equipment properly
- Will participate on the rotational stand-by
- Assists the department as needed during emergency situations
- Performs other related duties as assigned
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
- Receives supervision from Crew Leader, Assistant Gas Superintendent, and Gas Superintendent as applicable.
- Position has no formal assigned supervisory responsibility or authority.
- The principle duties of this position are performed in an outdoor field environment, at development and work sites on uneven and rough terrain.
- Required to work in outside weather conditions, including heat, cold and temperature swings, for extended periods of time.
- May lift, carry, pull, push, or drag up to 150 pounds of tools and equipment.
- Climbs, crawls, kneels, squats, stoops and bends freely when repairing, constructing, treading, or maintaining gas lines.
- Sits or stands for extended periods of time.
- Some exposure to dust, fumes, loud noises and other hazards that are routinely encountered while working at or around streets and alleys.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee works near heavy equipment and moving mechanical parts.
ALCOHOL AND DRUG TESTING POLICY:
This position is subject to the City of Del Rio’s Alcohol and Drug Testing Policy which includes: Pre-employment testing, Post-Accident Testing, Random Testing, Reasonable Suspicion Testing, Return to Duty Testing, and Follow-Up Testing.
Education / Experience / License:
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- One-year experience in related field preferred.
- Must have a valid Class “C” Driver’s License.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to interpret oral and written instructions and refers deviations, problems or unfamiliar situations to supervisor for proper decisions and guidance.
- Skilled in safety regulations, work practices and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, other departments and the general public
- Ability to safely operate and care for assigned vehicle, machinery, tools and equipment in carrying out the business of the department and the City.
- Must successfully pass all qualification exams as required by the Texas Railroad Commission, the Operator Qualification Training Program and the Poly/Electro fusion test within the 6-month probationary period.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must pass a drug test, driver’s license check, criminal history background check, and social security number verification check
Notice – The City of Del Rio investigates and obtains information from all references, both personal and professional, employers, public agencies, licensing authorities, and educational institutions in order to obtain information about applicants and to otherwise verify the accuracy of information provided in the application. The City does not unlawfully discriminate in employment practices and no question on the application is used for the purpose of limiting or excusing any applicant from consideration for employment on a basis prohibited and protected by applicable Local, State or Federal law. Applicants must agree to submit to any medical examination and/or drug and alcohol testing to determine the ability to perform the duties of the position which applied for and employment is contingent upon the results thereof. If an offer of employment is made, the applicant is required to provide proof of identity and legal authority to work in the United States as per Federal immigration laws requiring form I-9.
THE CITY OF DEL RIO, TEXAS IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.