The Del Rio Police Department is renowned for its diversity and premier training. Our commitment to academics and physical training is vital to the success of graduating first-class officers.
The Del Rio Police Academy focuses on three core areas:
- Physical Training
- Skills Training
The main duty of a Del Rio police officer is to protect the lives and property within our community. Training to do so begins with a solid foundation in academics. At the Del Rio Police Academy, a foundation in law, procedures and ethics allows the cadets to build the framework to a successful career.
The Del Rio Police Academy cadets starts each class day with physical fitness training; a minimum of six hours of physical training each week. The cadets will learn strategies of defense in preparation for tactics and life-saving skills as a police officer. Physical training provides for mental preparedness and stress relief by assisting the cadet in handling the rigors of their newly chosen profession.
All cadets will undergo training in Police Emergency Vehicle Operations, Patrol Procedures, Use of Force Training, Firearms Training, as well as other skills related training. The purpose of these courses are to build a better officer with the skills needed to accomplish the daily tasks of the patrol officer.
Del Rio Police Academy
DRPD Agility Course
Requirements before taking the Agility Exam:
- All applicants must be at least 21 yrs. of age
- U.S. Citizen
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED
- Under the age of 45 yrs.
- No arrest above a Class B Misdemeanor
- If you meet the qualifications, applicants will be required to take a written Civil Service Exam, once you pass the exam, a physical agility run will follow
- Once the written exam and agility run are successfully completed, applicants will be subject to a Background Investigation, Oral Interview along with Psychological and Medical Examinations
- The following video takes you through the Agility Course for training purposes